good news from generative grammarians

Andreas Kathol kathol at socrates.berkeley.edu
Thu Apr 26 15:30:02 UTC 2001

There are chapters on LFG and HPSG in the forthcoming syntax textbook
by Andrew Carnie
(http://www.linguistlist.org/~carnie/Pages/textbook.html). It's pretty
mainstream, MIT-centric in virtually all other respects.

Since that book looks like it will be very popular for teaching
beginning syntax, we may take advantage of the fact that there's still
time for comments/suggestions before it goes into print. (Of course
there's no guarantee that he'll actually work those reactions in; I've
heard from one colleague whose comments on the HPSG part he seems to
have ignored so far. With greater numbers that may change, though.)

  --A