"Generative" serves them right

SHALOM LAPPIN shalom.lappin at kcl.ac.uk
Sat Apr 28 21:32:17 UTC 2001

One of the main distinctions between the MP and most other theories of
formal grammar (HPSG, LFG, CG, TAG, and Arc Pair Grammar, for example),
is that the MP incorporates conditions on sets of derivations
(transderivational constraints) of either a global or a local character,
while the other theories rely soley on local conditions on structures. A
second major distinction is that most versions of the MP have only two
interface levels, LF and PF, which are the output of a
derivation. By contrast, the other theories generally define syntactic,
semantic, and phonological well formedness in tandem at every level of
structure. David Johnson and I explored these distinctions and others in
detail in our book Local Constraints VS. Economy, CSLI, 1999. Together
with Bob Levine we have been discussing these issues in the context of
a debate with MP advocates in recent issues of NLLT. Our main concern is
to show that the notion of grammar as a system exhibiting "perfect
design", which lies at the cores of Chomsky's current program, has no
obvious content. To the the extent that this is the case, the program
is conceptually ungrounded. This seems to us to be a deeper and more
basic flaw than the particular computational and empirical shortcomings
of the framework (and we have tried to point out some of these in our
book). We continue to find it remarkable that so many adherents of the
MP have been apparently willing to accept the notion of perfect design
without demanding clarification or discussion of this concept. y
                                    Shalom