"Generative" serves them right

Dan Parvaz dparvaz at unm.edu
Sun Apr 29 00:12:10 UTC 2001

> How about "Chomkyan" (my preferred term)?

In an ever-more-frustrating search for decent nomenclature -- hey, the
alternative for me is to go back and wrestle with Wh- clauses in ASL --
here's my two cents. I've been using "west-coast" vs. "east-coast" as tags
to differentiate LFG, ?PSG, etc. from, you know, "them." Plus it gives me
more than a little pleasure to subvert Fritz Newmeyer's "east-coast
formalist"/"west-coast functionalist" distinction.

Okay, so the geographical things doesn't really work, either. I hope I can
nail this ASL thing with more precision...

-Dan.