ARG-ST as a head feature

Ash Asudeh asudeh at csli.stanford.edu
Fri Jan 19 17:35:37 UTC 2001

Berthold,

Chris Manning briefly discusses having ARG-ST as a head feature in his
CSLI book "Ergativity". His proposal has to do with binding theory. As far
as I recall, he remains agnostic about it in the end.

I also pursue this proposal and discuss it (but don't ultimately adopt it)
in my 1998 University of Edinburgh MPhil thesis (see bibtex info
below; you can also get it from my webpage www.stanford.edu/~asudeh).

Hope that helps a little.
Ash

@MPhilThesis{asudeh98,
  author =       {Ash Asudeh},
  title =        {Anaphora and Argument Structure: Topics in the Syntax and Semantics of Reflexives and Reciprocals},
  school =       {University of Edinburgh},
  year =         {1998},
}