ARG-ST as a head feature

Martin Jansche jansche at ling.ohio-state.edu
Mon Jan 29 16:19:32 UTC 2001

On Sat, 20 Jan 2001, Carl Pollard wrote:

> Finally, we define coordination [resp. neutralization] of two
> categories by taking the meet [resp. join] (in K) of the MORPH values,
> the meet [resp. join] (in A) of the ARG-ST values, and for each of the
> valence features F, the componentwise neutralization
> [resp. coordination] of the F-values. [Note: the dualization for the
> valence features is analogous to the fact that slash in type-logical
> grammar is a kind of (noncommutative linear) implication.]

It seems to me that you've just invented Categorial Grammar -- you get
uniform operations on feature structures and the required
contravariance/duality for valence features.  How does this differ
from CG with extensions in the style of Bayer and Johnson (which
admittedly contains unnecessary machinery) or, better, Doerre and
Manandhar?

- martin