derivational affixes & phrases

Frank Van Eynde frank at ccl.kuleuven.ac.be
Wed Apr 3 13:04:26 UTC 2002

Hi Tom,

> I am looking for literature on apparent morphology/syntax mismatches
> where derivational affixes combine with phrases.
> In some Coast Salish languages prefixal verbs combine with N' (to
> form verbs). In Halkomelem, we get constructions such as
>   vbl.pref+ADJ  N
> (e.g.,  vbl.prefix+white  wool =  have white wool)
> The prefix appears on the ostensible modifier rather than the head
> noun. We do not have evidence of ADJ+N compounds.

I do not have the literature right here to check it,
but I think that Philip Miller has discussed the
possibility of treating the English possessive 's and the
articles (in some languages) as phrasal affixes.

The phenomenon you describe is similar to a phenomenon in
Dutch: when used prenominally, Dutch adjectives show variation
between forms with and without the inflectional suffix -e,
as in 'mooi weer' (nice weather) vs. 'mooie woorden'
(nice-DECL words), depending on number and gender of the head
noun as well as on the (in)definiteness of the whole NP.

If the adjective takes a modifier, as in 'zeer mooie paarden'
(very nice-DECL horses), the suffix is realised on the adjectival head,
unless the modifier follows the adjective, as in
'beter dan verwachte resultaten' (better than expected-DECL results)
and 'zo groot mogelijke stappen' (as big possible-DECL steps).
Treating -e as a phrasal affix would be one possibility to
deal with these combinations, but it would not be my favorite, as it
involves a rather strong violation of the lexical integrity
hypothesis: in HPSG and LFG you are not supposed to like this.
Treating the suffix as the morphological realization of a right edge
feature would be more in line with a lexicalist framework.

Friendly greetings,

Frank Van Eynde