HPSG Diagrams

Ivan A. Sag sag at csli.stanford.edu
Tue Dec 3 19:55:25 UTC 2002

I had the same reaction as Martin. Plus, are non-latex users aware that a
latex feature structure could be drawn as simply as:

\bfs
\[PHON & love\\
  SYN  & \[FEAT & val\\
          FEAT & val\]\\
  SEM & \[... \] \] \efs

(you could rename \bfs or \efs however you like)

Rob Malouf's macros (and no doubt others) make trees with avms in them easy,
too:

\bt
\br{S}
{\br{NP}{\br{N}{\lf{Kim}}}
 \br{VP}{\br{V}{\lf{walks}}}} \et

\bt
\br{S}
{\br{\[CAT & NP\\
       SEM & Kim'\]}{\br{N}{\lf{Kim}}}
 \br{\[CAT & VP\\
       SEM & walk'\]}{\br{V}{\lf{walks}}}} \et

Once you've left pure WYSIWYG mode, do you really need something simpler than
this? Or have I just lost my perspective on simplicity?

Best,
Ivan