postnominal adjectives in English

Wesley Davidson davidson at ling.ohio-state.edu
Mon Jan 28 03:16:07 UTC 2002

Can anyone point me to any discussion or analysis (hpsg-based or
otherwise) of contrasts like the following?  (...the contrast being that
some modifying adjPs are okay postnominally, but not others).

1a)   We invited all the firemen available.
 b) ??We invited all the firemen friendly.

2a)   They drove to the nearest store open.
 b) ??They drove to the nearest store cheap.

3a)   The only towel clean was sitting on a shelf 6 feet above the sink.
 b) ??The only towel green was sitting on a shelf 6 feet above the sink.

Thanks.

-Wesley Davidson