postnominal adjectives in English

Nerbonne J. nerbonne at let.rug.nl
Mon Jan 28 09:59:27 UTC 2002

I think a locus classicus for this distinction is Muffy Siegel's UMass
Diss. (1976).   She relates the distinction to Russian long- and
short form adjectives  (xolodnoj / xoloden), and especially to
inherent vs. temporary properties of objects.  This ends up being
explained as the distinction between a set of objects (type <e,t>
in Montague Grammar) and a mapping from common nouns to
common nouns (type <<s, <e,t>>, <s, <e,t>>>).

       Capturing the adjective / Muffy E. A. Siegel
       New York, N.Y., Garland (Outstanding dissertations
       in linguistics) 1980 .

I'd bet there are copies at OSU.

John Nerbonne

--