predicative agreement

Dick Hudson dick at linguistics.ucl.ac.uk
Thu May 9 18:57:32 UTC 2002

Dear HPSG list,
May I ask a technical (but naive) question about the mechanics of HPSG?
Suppose you want to show agreement between a predicative complement and the
clause's subject, e.g. in French where predicative adjectives agree in
number and gender with the subject (Marie est intelligente.) Since the
predicative adjective is inside the VP, does it agree with the subject NP
in the SUBCAT list, or is that NP already in the SUBJ slot by that stage?
Sorry if I'm just showing how out of date I am ...
	Best wishes,   Dick Hudson

Richard (= Dick) Hudson

Phonetics and Linguistics, University College London,
Gower Street, London WC1E  6BT.
+44(0)20 7679 3152; fax +44(0)20 7383 4108;
http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/dick/home.htm