Coreference in Non-constituent coordination

Ann Copestake aac at csli.stanford.edu
Sat May 18 22:42:10 UTC 2002

> (d)   Most of the work was done by the girls, but a boy stood at the
> door and
> served behind the bar. (meaning the people who stood at the door or
> served
> behind the bar were boys).

I get this one at least, without any problems, but only on a generic/habitual
reading.  For me there is a clear contrast between:

(1) At gas stations in the 1950s, a uniformed attendant checked the oil
and washed the windshield

(1') When I went to the gas station this morning, a uniformed attendant
checked my car's oil and washed the windshield

For me, (1) is OK if different people do the washing and checking,
while (1') isn't.  But I think I'd argue that the generic version isn't
really distributive.

(I'm using USian examples, because 1 is adapted from a novel I just
read, which unfortunately used a bare plural.)