Prevailing approaches do not have a computational lexicon

Robert Levine levine at ling.ohio-state.edu
Sun Sep 22 16:41:34 UTC 2002

Ash---My own sense that `computational' is used as a systematic,
rhetorically motivated malapropism for `combinatorial' in the
minimalist litany. As Shalom points out, the MP literature is bare of
actual computations, in the sense of an explicit set of steps applying
to well-defined input and yielding a fully specified
output. `Computational' is used by minimalists---just as Sokal and
Bricmont say, in their wonderful book Fashionable Nonsense, about the
abuse of of genuine science by postmodernist hacks---to give a `veneer
of rigor to their own discourse'. But really, all they mean is
combinatorics, some system for putting elements together to generate
larger elements. So far as I can tell, nothing else is intended, at
least extensionally...

cheers[???],

Bob