Semantic compositionality

Nerbonne J. nerbonne at let.rug.nl
Wed Sep 10 16:15:29 UTC 2003

I've found Wlodek Zadrozny's papers on this clarifying.

@inproceedings(zadrozny:92,
	      author    = {Wlodek Zadrozny},
	      title     = {On Compositionality},
	      booktitle = {Proc. of {COLING} '92},
	      publisher = {{ACL}},
	      address   = {Nantes},
	      pages     = {260-266},
	      year      = {1992}
	      )

@article(zadrozny:94,
	    author    = {Wlodek Zadrozny},
	    title     = {From Compositional to Systematic Semantics},
            journal   = "Linguistics and Philosophy",
            volume    = "17",
            number    = "4",
            pages     = "329-342",
            year      = "1994"
	      )

And I showed how non-compositional treatments (in the pretheoretical sense)
could be effected in HPSG.  But I emphasized a processing perspective --
that one might wish to calculate semantics in a noncompositional
fashion even if a compositional treatment were theoretically possible.
One might prefer a left-right incremental computation, for example.

@incollection(nerbonne:96a,
	      author    = {John Nerbonne},
	      title     = {Computational Semantics---Linguistics and
                               Processing},
	      booktitle = {Handbook of Contemporary Semantic Theory},
	      publisher = {Blackwell Publishers},
	      address   = {London},
	      editor    = {Shalom Lappin},
	      pages     = {459-82},