queries about quantifiers

Carl Pollard pollard at ling.ohio-state.edu
Sun Jan 18 22:25:20 UTC 2004

Hi Howard.

I have no idea about the second point. Please let us know what you
learn. But in connection with the first point, I don't believe MOST DOES
license NPI's:

Everybody ate something/*anything.

Nobody ate *something/anything.

Most people ate something/*anything

*Everybody/*most people/nobody gives a rat's ass about NPI licensing.

Note also:

(i)  Everyody who has ever given it any thought supports the euro.
(ii) All English people who have ever given it any thought support the e=
uro.

These are just as good as your examples with MOST, so it seems to
be the restrictive relative clause environment, not MOST, that is
responsible for the NPI licensing.

At least so it seems to me at first blush.

All best,

Carl