queries about quantifiers

Howard Anthony Gregory howard.gregory at phil.uni-goettingen.de
Sun Jan 18 18:57:18 UTC 2004

I have two questions about generalized quantifiers which have been bugging me,
and would be grateful for any answers or pointers to relevant literature.

1. Why does "most" allow negative polarity items although it is not left
downward monotonic ((i) does not entail (ii))?

(i)  Most people who have ever given it any thought support the euro.
(ii) Most English people who have ever given it any thought support the euro.

2. Why is it that the logical determiner "not all" is not lexicalized in
languages (as far as I know), given that it satisfies monotonicity  (left
upwards, right downwards), conservativity (not all theories suck <--> not all
theories are theories that suck), and extension ("not all theories suck" is
not affected by the objects in the world which are not theories).

Best regards,
Howard Gregory

H. A. O. Gregory
Seminar für Englische Philologie