queries about quantifiers

Ash Asudeh asudeh at csli.stanford.edu
Mon Jan 19 03:19:44 UTC 2004

Dear Emily, Howard, and list members,

I think (Larry) Horn would make an excellent starting point for Howard's
second point. I'm not sure where the relevant stuff is published, though.
I'm sure it does appear somewhere, because I heard him give a related talk
at CLS a couple of years ago (maybe check the proceedings for CLS 38 when
they come out).

I think the gist of Horn's LSA talk was that since there is an implicature
from "some" to "not all", "not all" is unnecessary (according to Gricean
pragmatics).

I remember wondering at the time, though, whether this really explains
things. Since "not all" equally implicates "some" (otherwise the speaker
should use "no" according to Gricean principles), why isn't "not all"
lexicalized at "some"'s expense?

I probably missed some detail of the presentation.

Best,
Ash