quantifier query response forwarded from Larry Horn

Georgia g-green at uiuc.edu
Mon Jan 19 22:36:55 UTC 2004

Re: Fw: queries about quantifiers
----- Original Message -----
From: Laurence Horn
To: Georgia ; Ash Asudeh ; Emily Bender ; howard.gregory at phil.uni-goettingen.de
Cc: hpsg-l at lists.Stanford.EDU
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2004 2:52 PM
Subject: Re: Fw: queries about quantifiers

Hi, all.

If I can jump in here on both questions, forwarded to me by Georgia:

On (1), the standard semantic account of Ladusaw (1979 et seq.; see for example his "Negation and Polarity" article in the Blackwell Handbook of Contemporary Semantic Theory, Lappin, ed., 1996) correctly predicts that the restrictor of "all" should be a downward entailing environment.  Carl Pollard writes:

> Hi Howard.
>
> I have no idea about the second point. Please let us know what you
> learn. But in connection with the first point, I don't believe MOST DOES
> license NPI's:
>
> Everybody ate something/*anything.
>
> Nobody ate *something/anything.
>
> Most people ate something/*anything
>

> *Everybody/*most people/nobody gives a rat's ass about NPI licensing.
>
> Note also:
>

> (i)  Everyody who has ever given it any thought supports the euro.
> (ii) All English people who have ever given it any thought support the e=
> uro.
>
> These are just as good as your examples with MOST, so it seems to
> be the restrictive relative clause environment, not MOST, that is
> responsible for the NPI licensing.
>
> At least so it seems to me at first blush.
>
> All best,
>
> Carl

But there are two different issues here.  Consider statements of the form (DET A) B.
Does the DETERMINER establish a downward entailing (DE) environment?  ALL does, MOST doesn't, MANY doesn't, SOME doesn't, NO does, etc.  If so, A (the restrictor) should accept negative polarity items, as it does in "{Everybody/Nobody} who has ever eaten raw squid remembers it".  If not, it shouldn't, as it doesn't in "*{Some/Many} people who have ever eaten raw squid remember it."  Thus "ALL" and "NO" are DE determiners.
Now does the QUANTIFER (DET A) establish a downward entailing environment (i.e. in the predicate or nuclear scope)?  The only quantifier in the above group that does is "No CN", where CN is the common noun that "No" combines with.  So

{No/*Some/*Many/*Most/*All} people who eat raw squid could ever be friends of mine.

One of the motivations of Ladusaw's theory was in fact that ALL licenses polarity items (i.e. in the restrictor) but ALL PEOPLE/EVERYBODY does not (i.e. in the predicate).  But, as "*Some people who have ever eaten raw squid remember it" shows, it's not restrictors in general that license NPIs, but only restrictors of DE determiners (like ALL and NO).   So indeed, "Most people give a rat's ass about NPI licensing" is correctly predicted to be bad, but "Most people who have ever eaten raw squid could be friends of mine", with the NPI in the restrictor, *should* be bad (because MOST is not a DE determiner) but it *isn't*.  This is a problem for classical DE licensing, and it's one that has been discussed in the literature.  I think Irene Heim, in her NELS 14 paper "A Note on Negative Polarity and Downward Entailingness", around pp. 100-04, is the first to deal with this explicitly; she proposed a notion of "limited DE-ness" that may or may not strike you as a satisfactory solution.  (Similar questions arise for bare plurals:  "People who have ever eaten raw squid will know what I mean"--not that bad, right?)

Now, as for (2)--