Phrasal affixes

Berthold Crysmann crysmann at dfki.de
Wed Jun 30 11:15:07 UTC 2004

Borsley R D wrote:

>Thanks. I did more or less read the thesis some time ago. I'm told though
>that edge inflections are not quite the same thing as phrasal affixes.

Dear Bob,

as far as I'm aware there is currently no proposal of *Andersonian*
phrasal affixation in HPSG. Jesse Tseng has suggested some way of
integrating the Miller/Halpern approach into HPSG.

Edge inflection appears to be the more restrictive variant of phrasal
affixation: it is very precise about the locus of morphology
(terminals). Furthermore, properties to be expressed  peripherally in a
phrase must be indeed phrasal properties.  Also trigger feature
percolation is highly restricted.

Andersonian phrasal affixation can be thought of as a morphological
process directly targetting phrases.

There is a  discussion which may shed some light on the distinction: in
my 2002 thesis, I show that the Miller/Halpern variant cannot
satisfactorily address the issue of European Portuguese clitics taking
wide scope over a coodination of hosts or host VPs.
Luis & Sadler and Luis & Spencer argue that  this issue can be overcome
if an Andersonian variant is adopted. See, however, the slides from my
Vienna 2004 presentation (http://www.coli.uni-sb.de/~crysmann/papers/ ;
the link is somewhere at the bottom of the page) for detailed criticism
of that proposal.

Cheers,

Berthold