Movement's just another word for nothing left to merge

Borsley R D rborsley at essex.ac.uk
Tue May 31 14:05:06 UTC 2005

There are some cases in English where a gap of a certain kind is possible
but not an overt constituent. For example:

What he may do ___ is go home.
*He may do go home.
What he is doing ___ is going home.
*He is doing going home.
No matter how clever the students (are) ___, ...
The students *(are) very clever.

These look like a problem for the copy theory of movement.

Bob

Prof. Robert D. Borsley
Department of Language and Linguistics
University of Essex