Movement's just another word for nothing left to merge

Howard Anthony Gregory howard.gregory at phil.uni-goettingen.de
Tue May 31 15:02:16 UTC 2005

I was once told that the distinction between SYNSEM and LOCAL is important in
parasitic gaps. (This was a criticism of an implementation of mine, in which I
had simplified by making SLASH values lists of SYNSEMS.)

Regards,
Howard Gregory

> > One crucial idea within HPSG was that not all information is available in
> > the trace-filler relation, but only LOCAL information. If this idea yields
> > empirical predictions (I don’t remember), it could be used as a weapon
> > against the full-identity copy theory of the MP.
> >
> > Do I would like to ask: Do we find empirical consequences of the idea that
> > SLASH only carries LOCAL information?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > T. (not A.)

> > Prof. Dr. Tibor Kiss
> > Sprachwissenschaftliches Institut - Ruhr-Universität Bochum
> > +49-234-3225114 // +49-177-7468265

H. A. O. Gregory
Seminar für Englische Philologie
Georg-August-Universität Göttingen