Research on Language and Computation is Being Re-Launched

Shuly Wintner shuly at cs.haifa.ac.il
Fri Jan 5 13:25:21 UTC 2007

Research on Language and Computation is Being Re-Launched

The past twenty-five years has witnessed a massive expansion of
work in computational linguistics and natural language processing.
Despite the existence of a large variety of high level conferences
devoted to the full range of research in the field, there is still
a dearth of international journals in our area. Particularly acute
is the need for a published forum that seeks to develop the connection
between the rich results emerging in applied and empirical NLP on
on one hand, and the theoretical dimensions of computational linguistics
on the other. As a step toward meeting this need we are pleased to
announce a
re-organization and relaunch of the journal Research on Language and
Computation, published by Springer.  The new editors are

Editors-in-chief:

Dov M. Gabbay
Dept. of Computer Science, King's College, London, UK

Shalom Lappin
Dept. of Philosophy, King's College, London, UK

Associate Editors:

Walter Daelemans, University of Antwerp, Belgium (Empirical
approaches to NLP and Applications);
Andrew Kehler, UCSD, USA (Dialogue and Discourse);
Yoad Winter, The Technion, Haifa, Israel (Formal and Computational
Semantics);
Shuly Wintner, University of Haifa, Israel (Grammar Formalisms)

Our new mission statement is as follows:

Research on Language and Computation is an independent journal
devoted to the publication
of high quality, leading edge research papers in computational
linguistics and natural
language processing. The journal will publish work that deals with
interesting theoretical
dimensions of research on formal, empirical, and application
questions. We welcome submissions
in syntax, semantics, morphology, phonology, dialogue and discourse,
theories of grammar,
machine learning and computational learning theory applied to natural
language, mathematical
and complexity properties of natural language systems, and the
implementation of procedures
for natural language analysis, generation, and translation.
In addition to full articles, the journal publishes shorter notes and
book reviews.

We are focussing on individual papers rather than special issues.

Springer has provided an online editorial management system for
processing submissions.
Papers can now be submitted through this system at http://
rolc.edmgr.com.
You can obtain a full description of the journal with instructions
for authors at our website,
http://www.springer.com/journal/11168/

Dov Gabbay, Shalom Lappin, Walter Daelemans, Andrew Kehler, Yoad
Winter, and Shuly Wintner