Plagirism again, please join the discussion on research gate

Detmar Meurers dm at JULIUS.LING.OHIO-STATE.EDU
Mon Mar 31 15:00:12 UTC 2014

Dear Shalom and colleagues,

> Sorry, this is not a good argument.
>
> Even when one has very strong evidence that a crime has been
> committed, one is obligated to follow the procedures of due process.
>
> This should not be controversial.

for criminal cases this is not controversial. But, as also is apparent
from the post of Monica Lau that just arrived, it is too simple to
just equate plagiarism with criminal offenses.

For plagiarized *dissertations*, there is a process, generally
involving the university where the dissertation was accepted. But even
there, the most common way I know of for collecting and discussing the
evidence for plagiarism is fully public:
http://de.vroniplag.wikia.com/wiki/%C3%9Cbersicht

For plagiarized published articles, such as the case Stefan raised, it
is much less clear where one would even file a complaint and on what
legal basis. One can contact the publisher (or "publisher" in the case
of GRIN or the oxbridgewirters.com case that John Nerbonne mentioned
in a message that bounced from the list, included below), but as the
discussion here has shown, they often will do nothing or at most take
down the plagiarized article. If the "author" of the article happens
to be employed, contacting the employer is an option, but it is far
from clear whether procedures for such complaints at the level of a
plagiarized article are in place. How many such cases have we heard
of, if any? So does that mean there are no plagiarized articles in our
field, or that plagiarism in our field is not of interest to our
research community? No, as far as I see, there is no system in place
that ensures that plagiarizing in an article publication has
consequences and becomes known to the community, so that the
plagiarized articles aren't cited and don't contribute to the
scientific standing of the "author".

In contrast, who is in charge of conducting peer reviews and writing
public reviews about other publications? It is the research community
who takes care of that - so every one of us. So we ARE in the business
of judging work in linguistics based on the evidence presented to us.
In that light, Stefan Müller's analysis of the publication of Carmen
Cayetana Castro Moreno pointing out that it consists almost entirely
out of verbatim copies of five other publications, as far as I see, is
doing exactly what the research community has to do - with the
evidence transparently being provided at:
http://hpsg.fu-berlin.de/~stefan/Plagiarism/TYPOLOGICA_CarmenCastro.pdf

But instead of then discussing the apparently quite real challenge of
plagiarized articles in linguistics, I'm astonished that we instead
see the victim of the plagiarism, making this act against him and the
community public, having to defend his reputation, gender balance, etc
- isn't that absurd?!

Best,
Detmar