[HPSG-L] Selection of phonology in nonlocal dependencies and raising

Stefan Müller stefan.mueller at fu-berlin.de
Tue Mar 8 16:10:50 UTC 2016

Dear Emily,

> Just a quick comment related to LOCAL (rather than PHON):  I believe
> it to be the case that there is a dependency between having the LOCAL
> structure and the lexical threading/head amalgamation approach to
> long distance dependencies of Bouma et al 2001.  That is, I think
> it's important to that analysis that what is matched between filler
> and gap is the LOCAL value only.

But Ivan assumes an amalgamation analysis in his SBCG work, doesn't he?
I think he does not provide the lexical rule for extraction but gives
example lexical items instead. But the idea is nevertheless there.

Of course the purpose of LOCAL was to group exactly those features that
are shared in nonlocal dependencies. If this is gone now, we have to
make this explicit. Trace-based proposals will not work if all PHON and
SYN and SEM are identified, since traces have an empty PHON value and
fillers do not.

In Ivan's approach the PHON of the filler could be visible in the ARG-ST
list of the head. That would not hurt in an amalgamation analysis
(except for the locality issues, I mentioned). But it would hurt in a
trace-based analysis since there the PHON value has to be specified.

Another issue related to this is partial verb phrase fronting (PVP) in
German, which was treated by Höhle, Detmar and me by assuming that the
features that play a role in verbal complex formation are not shared in
nonlocal dependencies. This is set up easily by assuming that this
feature (the LEX feature) is outside LOCAL. If there is no LOCAL, we
have a problem. Of course one could stipulate indivdual structure
sharings into SLASH but this seems to be against the spirit of HPSG,
which uses structured information.

The discussion of LOCAL was already in the section I mentioned in my
original post. It contains all the PVP data and discussion.

Section 10.6.2, 10.6.2.2 on LOCAL

http://hpsg.fu-berlin.de/~stefan/Pub/grammatical-theory.html

To me it seems that the feature geometry of Sag, 1997 (Constructional
HPSG) is better suited for what we have already than the SBCG one.

Best wishes

        Stefan

--
PGP welcome

Stefan Müller       Tel: (+49) (+30) 838 52973
                    Fax: (+49) (030) 838 4 52973
Institut für Deutsche und Niederländische Philologie
Deutsche Grammatik
Habelschwerdter Allee 45
14 195 Berlin

http://hpsg.fu-berlin.de/~stefan/