[HPSG-L] Do not work for / publish with Elsevier, please (like Stanford, Harvard and so on)

Stephan Oepen oe at ifi.uio.no
Mon Aug 24 17:53:12 UTC 2020

dear stefan:

my personal record is pure: i have never published in lingua, almost
certainly never will, and i rarely even read the journal.

but i understand your message to our professional community mailing list as
not only condoning but actually encouraging what i consider unprofessional
and unethical behavior.

subversively stalling the review cycle can negatively impact the careers of
our colleagues, in particular more junior ones—for example delaying
dissertations or promotions.

as a member of a search committee, i consider my responsibility to the
applicants, the hiring institution, scientific quality, fairness, and
transparency.  unless it was part of the job announcement, a subjective and
inherently moral knock-down criterion, in my view, is incompatible with
that role.

best wishes, oe