[HPSG-L] Do not work for / publish with Elsevier, please (like Stanford, Harvard and so on)

Stefan Müller St.Mueller at hu-berlin.de
Thu Aug 27 08:39:56 UTC 2020

Dear oe, dear farell and everybody else who wrote me in private and
those who are interested in this issue,

Am 24.08.20 um 19:53 schrieb Stephan Oepen:

> but i understand your message to our professional community mailing
> list as not only condoning but actually encouraging what i consider
> unprofessional and unethical behavior.

This is very interesting. There is the concept of strike:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strike_action

Striking can cause severe damage. If people in public transport systems
strike they can delay the workings of cities and bring them to a halt.
The taxi drivers of Berlin protested against Uber and shut down TXL.

https://www.rbb24.de/wirtschaft/beitrag/2020/02/berlin-streik-taxifahrer-schoenefeld-rueckkehrpflicht-flughafen.html

You could say: wow, how unethical of these bus drivers/cab drivers. They
cause a lot of economical damage. They should shut up and work for their
9,50€. What? Minimum wages? I do not care, I want to have cheap
tickets/a cheap ride. (As a related side remark: many of our students
work as cab drivers, I even had cab drivers with a habilitation ...)

If you look at mathematics and their action, the cost of knowledge, you
see that this community was organized enough to defeat Elsevier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cost_of_Knowledge

Elsevier gave in at a certain point and wrote a letter to the
mathematicians:

> On the same day, Elsevier released an open letter to the mathematics
> community, stating that its target is to reduce its prices to
> $11/article or less.^[29]
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cost_of_Knowledge#cite_note-newsci-29>
> Elsevier also opened the archives of 14 mathematics journals back to
> 1995 with a four-year moving wall.^[29]
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cost_of_Knowledge#cite_note-newsci-29>
> In late 2012, Elsevier made all of its "primary mathematics" journals
> open access up to 2008.^[32]
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cost_of_Knowledge#cite_note-32> The
> boycott remains in effect.

So, Elsevier moved. But for mathematics only. Not for Linguistics,
Chemistry or Biology. Since we are happy to pay.

A Zombie Lingua papers cost $20

https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lingua.2020.102923

Neurolinguistics $40

https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jneuroling.2020.100912

Publishing an OA paper in Cell costs $5900/5170€. This is the price list:

https://www.elsevier.com/__data/promis_misc/article-publishing-charge.xlsx

The work is done for free by reviewers. So the costs for Elsevier are
minimal. If you work with a publisher as service provider, as Glossa
does, you will have processing costs of about 350€ and this includes a
reasonable profit margin for the service provider. The fair cost of an
OA paper was set to be 400€.

This is more information on fair OA:

https://www.fairopenaccess.org/

Fair OA limits the APCs in a different way nowadays since publication
under the FairOA label has to be free in principle for everybody. This
means that the APCs are higher since they cross-finance other authors
who cannot pay. The limit is $1000.

Assuming the costs to be 400€, this means that 4770€ of the Author
Processing Charge (APC) go to Elsevier for nothing. A paper in Lingua is
$2700. For your information: De Gruyter calculates internally with 800€
per paper including a profit margin, the DGfS pays De Gruyter 1200€ per
paper (so publishing is free for authors).

If you want to know what running a journal used to cost and used to
entail in terms of service and what it involves nowadays, you may watch
this talk by Klaus Mikus:

https://tube.switch.ch/videos/0ce44cdd

He was running Wiley journals and runs you through the budget of
journals. He also comments on the profit rates 60-80%. Unfortunately the
video is in German.

Note please what leading universities suggest:

> For example, a resolution by Stanford University
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_University>'s senate singled
> out Elsevier's journals as being "disproportionately expensive
> compared to their educational and research value", which librarians
> should consider dropping, and encouraged its faculty "not to
> contribute articles or editorial or review efforts to publishers and
> journals that engage in exploitive or exorbitant pricing".^[29]
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elsevier#cite_note-29> Similar
> guidelines and criticism of Elsevier's pricing policies have been
> passed by the University of California
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_California>, Harvard
> University <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvard_University>, and
> Duke University <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_University>.^[30]
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elsevier#cite_note-30>
All this is linked from within Wikipedia. When I suggest here not to
work for Elsevier, I make the same suggestions as Stanford, University
of California, Harvard, Duke and several Dutch and German big players.

I quote a recent press release of the University of California (San
Diego is a part of this):

https://osc.universityofcalifornia.edu/uc-publisher-relationships/uc-and-elsevier/

> *Background:*
> In close consultation with all 10 campus libraries and the Academic
> Senate
> <https://senate.universityofcalifornia.edu/_files/reports/academic-council-statement-elsevier-feb28.pdf>,
> the University of California is working to hold down the rapidly
> escalating costs associated with for-profit journals and to facilitate
> open access publishing of UC research.
>
> UC’s last contract with Elsevier expired as of January 1, 2019, and
> Elsevier has discontinued UC’s access via its online platform,
> ScienceDirect, to articles published since that date (and some older
> articles). The UC Libraries are carefully evaluating the impact of
> losing access to new articles on ScienceDirect, and are committed to
> ensuring that members of the UC community have access to the articles
> they need.

Germany and the Netherlands have similar situations. This means that
people who publish with Elsevier not only publish in open access, even
the paywall content is not available to many researchers since Elsevier
blocks it since the institutions or even complete countries like the
Netherlands are not paying the fees any longer.

Yes, and also research funders are kept busy talking about all this.
There is the Plan S where S stands for shock.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_S

Research founding agencies from 11 European countries initiated Plan S.
They make it mandatory that the research they found is availible to
everybody and that the results are published under the following ten
principles:

> The ten principles are:
>
>  1. authors should retain copyright
>     <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright> on their publications,
>     which must be published under an open license such as Creative
>     Commons <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Commons>;
>  2. the members of the coalition should establish robust criteria and
>     requirements for compliant open access journals and platforms;
>  3. they should also provide incentives for the creation of compliant
>     open access journals and platforms if they do not yet exist;
>  4. publication fees should be covered by the funders or universities,
>     not individual researchers;
>  5. such publication fees should be standardized and capped;
>  6. universities, research organizations, and libraries should align
>     their policies and strategies;
>  7. for books and monographs, the timeline may be extended beyond 2021;
>  8. open archives and repositories are acknowledged for their importance;
>  9. hybrid open-access journals
>     <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_open-access_journal> are not
>     compliant with the key principle;
> 10. members of the coalition should monitor and sanction non-compliance.

Please note points 9. and 5. Zombie Lingua is a hybrid journal and the
prices were given above. Zombie Lingua is very close to hell on the
compatibility scale with Plan S.

A list of member organisations can be found here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_S#Member_organisations

A list of supportive orgaanizations is here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_S#Institutional_statements_of_support

And there is also DEAL:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_DEAL

I reject the approach for reasons also explained in Wikipedia. But I
quote the passage on Elsevier, the only one of the big publishers that
refused to find a compromise:

>     Negotiations with Elsevier
>
> Negotiations between Projekt DEAL and Elsevier started in 2016. No
> agreement could be reached on a new model under the terms of Projekt
> DEAL, and the negotiations were officially called off in July
> 2018.^[4] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_DEAL#cite_note-4> In
> support of Projekt DEAL’s mandate to negotiate centrally, ca. 200
> German Universities did not renew their expiring individual contracts
> with Elsevier starting January 2017.^[5]
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_DEAL#cite_note-5> Dozens of
> German researchers resigned from their editor roles for Elsevier
> journals to strengthen Projekt DEAL’s push for open access.^[6]
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_DEAL#cite_note-6> ^[7]
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_DEAL#cite_note-7>

As you can see, all this goes on for years now. It binds considerable
resources and it is not just weirdos like little Stefan who compares the
situation with a strike. The publication crisis is massive and it is
dealt with on the national level in the Netherlands on the highest level
of research founders and/or rectors conferences of universities in
several countries.

Librarians work hard in the background to guarantee supply of research
literature. You probably never notice what they are doing since if
things work well, there is no reason to think about this. But note that
libraries and more central institutions are paid by us, the taxpayer as
well. For example, there are Fachinformationsdienste in Germany. This is
special units usually associated with university libraries and
responsible for certain disciplines. They used to be called
Sondersammelgebiet and they are financed by the DFG (which is financed
by the tax payer).

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fachinformationsdienste_f%C3%BCr_die_Wissenschaft

For example, the FID Linguistics is in Frankfurt/M. There are others for
Romance, Slavic and so on. Since the role of these FIDs in times of the
publication crisis changes, they now also organize workshops for helping
scientific societies on their way to fair open access. Last year, all
scientific societies of all disciplines were invited and met for several
days in Göttingen to discuss the solutions that have been found so far.
I took part in this as representative of the DGfS, the German
linguistics society that by now has an OA journal without publishing fees.

Why do I mention all this? To show you that there is a real problem and
that lots and lots of people are working on this issue. This would not
be necessary if (the big commercial) publishers were service providers
and left us room to breathe. We, the scientific community, are in
defense mode.

Again, talk to your librarian. If you meet her/him in a bar, she/he may
tell you about the contracts (remember the non-disclosure agreements?).

But coming back to the Lingua/Glossa issue:

The focus of my mail was not Elsevier (and Wiley and Springer) in total
but Zombie Lingua in particular. And Zombie Lingua is a very special
case. There is no reason to publish there. And there is no reason to
work for this journal. As I said in the previous mail: The complete
editorial team (6 people) and the editorial board (31 people) left and
founded the fair OA journal Glossa. So there is nothing left of Lingua.
Elsevier recreated it by putting together a new board.

If you publish with them now you are a blackleg (Streikbrecher,
streikbreaker). You are working against all the people and institutions
mentioned above. Of course you could claim: "Oh, I did not know of the
strike, I just came to work and want to ride my bus now. And by the way,
I do not care that I am underpaid and have no time to go to the loo."

I am here in front of the bus station to make you aware of the strike
and to ask you for solidarity with those who do not get the positions in
academia in the first place since we give our money away to those guys
(yes, guys). Remember: 37% means 370.000€ of 1 Mio. 73% means 730.000€
of 1Mio. Given to the shareholders. For nothing.

So: Do you think that striking bus drivers are acting unethical? I do
not think so.

> subversively stalling the review cycle can negatively impact the
> careers of our colleagues, in particular more junior ones—for example
> delaying dissertations or promotions.

As for delaying the review process, you may ask the editors of journals
I reviewed for. I can send you many surprised mails informing me that I
broke all records ever by delivering my reviews within a day or within a
week. And those who worked with me know how detailed my reviews are.

But this is of course different during a strike. [As you know from my
mail to Chris, there was no actual delay in the case at hand since
Elsevier got informed about my email to the HPSG list, so everything was
within normal reaction times]

What I try here is make enough noise so that everybody becomes aware of
the fact that there are striking people and that it would be better not
to enter the bus station. Maybe people start thinking about the issues
and decide it is better not to submit to Zombie Lingua. I gave you the
reasons (quality of the journal in general, quality of the review
process, quality of proofreading and copy editing).

Independent of me not answering the review request, the time of
reviewing will be longer, since science in general is in a review
crisis. Everybody wants to have a review of everything and if a journal
is low in prestige, people are not willing to review for it. This is the
case for Zombie Lingua and hence processing articles will take long or
they will not get proper reviewing.

I wrote the email to indirectly inform the authors, to tell them about
my concerns and make them aware of Glossa. So, I am actually helping
them and also anybody else who might not have noticed that Lingua is
Zombie Lingua now.

> I truly believe what you are suggesting is wrong (“blacklisting"
> really has a bad history, specially in the US against
> “communists”/black leaders and trade union leaders)

Have a look at who works/worked with me. I am very open and do not
blacklist. I work with women and men (more women actually), with people
of all sexual preferences, with people from all over the world (China,
Denmark, France, Iran, UK, Korea, China), with people of all religions
(with headscarf and without, me organizing rooms for prayer), even
people with weird political opinions and one even thinks Corona is a
flue. You may ask anybody from my team about these things.

I am very sensitive to these issues since I am coming from a country
where political opinions played a role for people careers. Pupils who
went to the church had to stand up in school in front of the class. One
guy in my school became shepherd since he refused the military training
with automatic guns we had to take part in our school education. I
almost was not admitted to the school I went since I thought that
serving in the army for three years was a bad idea. I was 14 years old
when this political talk for admission took place.

What I think is different here is that the color of somebody's skin or
her/his political opinions do not matter in science. But publication and
dissemination of results and responsibility for research money is part
of our academic jobs.

> as a member of a search committee, i consider my responsibility to the
> applicants, the hiring institution, scientific quality, fairness, and
> transparency.  unless it was part of the job announcement, a
> subjective and inherently moral knock-down criterion, in my view, is
> incompatible with that role.

The same here. There are two things to distinguish:

1) project staff, staff at my lab

I have very few positions to hire people for. Candidates usually have an
HPSG background, they know me, they were in contact before. They usually
know what I do in the publication business and I wrote these mails to
the list to make them aware that they might have considered publishing
with a dead corps just in case they wanted to publish with Zombie Lingua.

Once everybody knows the facts about Lingua/Glossa, there is clearly
also a quality issue that is relevant for hiring:

Everybody who submits as of today, knows that he/she submits to a low
quality journal, with bad reviewing and not to the journal that the name
used to represent. He/she is submitting to a journal hidden behind a
paywall, not even accessible to some libraries (because of failed
negotiations see above), even though a completely open journal with a
better board is available.

I have been working for open access since 2012. And yes, publication of
research results is our business, science organization is part of our
duties as scientists. Tax payers have the right to see what we are
doing. They pay for it. I have been running a project to establish
Language Science Press. This project was founded by the DFG with 576,989
€. My team helped to make Language Science Press a success (26 book
series, 127 published books, 25 forthcoming). When hiring new people it
is important to hire people that are compatible with the rest of the team.

All these criteria are criteria from within science. The normal
selection procedure.

Since we discuss these things here at some length we also have transparency.

We can discuss the details and I am constantly rethinking everything but
the general reasoning is clear. I hope.

2) professors

In a search committee for a professorship we are looking for senior
people. Professors are not just experts in their narrow area of
specializations they are also expected to be research managers. They
have responsibilities for research budgets of their lab, of their
institute and maybe of their faculty and their university one day. They
should know which journals are around, who does what, which journals are
cool, have good boards, good reviewing and so on. They are supposed to
write research grants, which includes research dissemination, which
includes budgets for publications and so on. They should have thought
about prices and where the money comes from. This is part of the job
profile.

Having published in Lingua since 2017 is a minus for an applicant for
all the reasons mentioned and discussed in the previous mail.

What do we want:

1) Publication in good journals: Zombie Lingua isn't one.

2) Reviewing for good journals: Zombie Lingua is not a good journal.

3) Getting money from outside the university: Spending money or cause
others to spend money on Zombie Lingua is the opposite.

Search committees have 6 to 10 sometimes even more people. I am one and
I will raise my concerns. This is normal and not unethical and it does
not have anything to do with blacklisting.

Raising these issues here is supposed to make people aware of the
situation and hence all this is also fully transparent.

Best wishes

    Your bus driver

PS: I did not make the bus driver example up. Your bus drivers may wear
diapers because they cannot go to the toilet during their working hours.

This is from Nuremberg:

https://www.nordbayern.de/region/nuernberg/busfahrer-beklagt-belastende-zustande-bei-der-vag-1.9535197

This is from Seattle:

https://www.welt.de/vermischtes/article134716724/Busfahrer-in-Seattle-muessen-Windeln-tragen.html

The fun aspect about the Nuremberg example is that this is public
transport payed by the city of Nuremberg. Cities usually do not have
enough money to pay public infrastructure and they try to cut them
short. If we are spending public money even if there is no need to do
so, we are acting unethically. It is our duty as people who are all
payed by the tax payer to avoid spending money wherever possible.

Just discovered a fun aspect of this discussion: both parties accuse the
other one of acting unethically and using moral arguments.

Hm.

Best

    Stefan