Copula meaning

Andreas Nolda andreas.nolda at CMS.HU-BERLIN.DE
Mon Nov 29 19:45:34 UTC 2004

Hi everybody,

here is the first posting to il-list! :-)

Although most subscribers appear to read German, there may be some who
don't. So for the time being, I am writing in English.

Investigating the semantics of some type of copula sentences, I came
across two slightly different conceptions by Hans-Heinrich Lieb for
the word meaning of copula verbs like "to be". Take, for example, the
following sentence:

(1)  John is sick.

According to Lieb (1985, 7), the intension of .be1. -- the word
meaning of "to be" -- is a three-place relation between states x,
entities x1 (corresponding to the subject referent), and *sets* y
(corresponding to the meaning of the subject complement/the
'Prädikatsnomen') such that x1 *is in* y during x. So the canonical
proposition for (1) would run as follows ("L", "A", "E", "@", and "^"
denote the lambda operator, the universal quantifier, the existential
quantifier, the element relation, and the intersection operation,
respectively):

(2)  LV V1:
     Ax1 (Ref V1 _john_1 V x1
          -> Ex (<x, x1, {x2 | x2 @ e.sick.
                                    ^ reb(_sick_3, V, V1, .sick.)}>
                   @ e.be1. ^ reb(_is_2, V, V1, .be1.)
                 & [tense meaning]))

The minutes of the 1995/96 IL colloque (Lieb 1995/96, 29, fn. 2),
though, outline a different conception, according to which the third
place is not an extensional set, but an intensional *property* y which
x1 *has* during x. Given this revised word meaning .be1'., the
proposition for (1) would read instead:

(3)  LV V1:
     Ax1 (Ref V1 _john_1 V x1
          -> Ex (<x, x1, Lx2: x2 @ e.sick.
                                   ^ reb(_sick_3, V, V1, .sick.)>
                   @ e.be1'. ^ reb(_is_2, V, V1, .be1'.)
                 & [tense meaning]))

Now my question is: are there any empircal or theoretical arguments
for prefering (3) over (2)?

Andreas