terminology: syntactic accent

Sebastian Drude sebadru at ZEDAT.FU-BERLIN.DE
Thu Nov 22 15:46:31 UTC 2007

Dear colleagues,

I am sorry that I had and have no time to get into the very interesting
debate about participles, the passive and valency.

Nevertheless, may I seek for help with respect to another topic?
Recently I was confronted several times with the fact that the term
"syntactic accent" is not generally known or used, and usually is not
even intuitively understood by other linguists.  So I understand that
this is not a traditional term that the Integrational Theory
reconstructs?  Or was it introduced and used only or mainly by Bolinger,
and that approach did not make it in general textbooks or linguistic
dictionaries?  Does the same hold for German ""Satzakzent"?

Anyway, my pragmatic question is: When I want to say "syntactic accent"
in a general paper not directed to an IL audience, which more widespread
term would you recommend me to use; what is closest to the IL conception?
I most often find "Sentence Stress", but find it misleading...
What about "sentence accent"?

Thank you in advance for your help, and best wishes from Belém,

Sebastian (Drude)