WorldCALL 2003 "Call from the Margins" (conference)

Phil Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Fri Nov 22 16:48:44 UTC 2002

Dear ILAT members,

Below is information and a link to a conference of ILAT interest.

Phil Cash Cash (cayuse/nez perce)
ILAT, UofA

~~
Conference Theme

CALL from the Margins

The theme of WorldCALL 2003, ?CALL from the Margins?, reflects the emphasis
on diversity in CALL (Computer Assisted Language Learning), particularly
coming from underserved regions and cultural groups of the world. The conference
will be held on four days at the Banff Centre for Conference in May 7-10,
2003.

Vision Statement

Small cultural communities all over the world, under tremendous pressure
from global forces of uniformity and assimilation, are asserting their integrity
and determination to remain distinct and unique.  The thread of language
weaves the identity of these communities, and technology is arrayed in a
variety of postures, with the capability to cut social fabrics and to mend
and reconnect peoples. "CALL from the margins" will be an opportunity to
explore how information technology has been both a threat and a promise to
language communities worldwide.  Indigenous and minority language groups
will be explicitly invited to take centre stage to explain how CALL has been
relevant and important to them.  Presenters will be invited to connect their
research and practical experience to a theme of global interconnection; speakers
will be encouraged to re-center our views about technology, language acquisition,
and broad social and cultural themes.

Mission Statement

We encourage national and international communication amongst scholars on
research, development, and practice.  We aim to provide a common meeting
ground for the exchange of ideas and dissemination of information.  Our hope
is to enhance and build connections. We embrace diversity and encourage collaboration
with underserved regions of the world.  We encourage the use of CALL to study
heritage, minority, indigenous, re-emerging and marginalized languages.
Discussion on the integration of pedagogy with both existing and future technologies
will be beneficial to everyone from researcher/developers to teacher/practitioners.

We feel that Alberta is an ideal place for such a meeting of minds. The venue
in Banff is an idyllic setting, in a province with a diverse population.
 It will be in a place to generate talk about the recent and upcoming developments
in CALL.

Organising Committee

Martin Beaudoin (Chair -- Univ. of Alberta)
Brian Gill (Associate-Chair -- Univ. of Calgary)
Peter Liddell (International Steering Committee -- Univ. of Victoria)
Terry Butler (Univ. of Alberta)
Esther Enns (Univ. of Calgary)
Scott Gerrity (Univ. of Victoria)
Grace Wiebe (Univ. of Alberta)