WorldCALL 2003 "Call from the Margins" (conference)

Hishinlai' fnkrs at UAF.EDU
Fri Nov 22 19:33:27 UTC 2002

Sounds like a worthwhile conference but the call for papers was last month.
The university I work at won't allow us to attend conferences without
presenting. Maybe the next conference...Hishinlai'

<ILAT at listserv.arizona.edu> =====
> [...]
>
>Below is information and a link to a conference of ILAT interest.
>
>Phil Cash Cash (cayuse/nez perce)
>ILAT, UofA
>
>~~
>Conference Theme
>
>CALL from the Margins
>
>The theme of WorldCALL 2003, ?CALL from the Margins?, reflects the emphasis
>on diversity in CALL (Computer Assisted Language Learning), particularly
>coming from underserved regions and cultural groups of the world. The
conference
>will be held on four days at the Banff Centre for Conference in May 7-10,
>2003.
>
>Vision Statement
>
>Small cultural communities all over the world, under tremendous pressure
>from global forces of uniformity and assimilation, are asserting their
integrity
>and determination to remain distinct and unique.  The thread of language
>weaves the identity of these communities, and technology is arrayed in a
>variety of postures, with the capability to cut social fabrics and to mend
>and reconnect peoples. "CALL from the margins" will be an opportunity to
>explore how information technology has been both a threat and a promise to
>language communities worldwide.  Indigenous and minority language groups
>will be explicitly invited to take centre stage to explain how CALL has been
>relevant and important to them.  Presenters will be invited to connect their
>research and practical experience to a theme of global interconnection;
speakers
>will be encouraged to re-center our views about technology, language
acquisition,
>and broad social and cultural themes.
>
>Mission Statement
>
>We encourage national and international communication amongst scholars on
>research, development, and practice.  We aim to provide a common meeting
>ground for the exchange of ideas and dissemination of information.  Our hope
>is to enhance and build connections. We embrace diversity and encourage
collaboration
>with underserved regions of the world.  We encourage the use of CALL to study
>heritage, minority, indigenous, re-emerging and marginalized languages.
>Discussion on the integration of pedagogy with both existing and future
technologies
>will be beneficial to everyone from researcher/developers to
teacher/practitioners.

>We feel that Alberta is an ideal place for such a meeting of minds. The venue
>in Banff is an idyllic setting, in a province with a diverse population.
> It will be in a place to generate talk about the recent and upcoming
developments
>in CALL.
>
>Organising Committee
>
>Martin Beaudoin (Chair -- Univ. of Alberta)
>Brian Gill (Associate-Chair -- Univ. of Calgary)
>Peter Liddell (International Steering Committee -- Univ. of Victoria)

Hishinlai'
"Kathy R. Sikorski", Gwich'in Instructor
University of Alaska Fairbanks
Alaska Native Language Center
P. O. Box 757680
Fairbanks, AK  99775-7680