Technical administrivia

Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine brunner at NIC-NAA.NET
Sat Oct 26 17:00:21 UTC 2002

> ... give everybody a primer on character encoding specifications, servers,
> user agents and what it all means.

Phil,

Being wise, subtle, and behind on my bathing schedule, I wanted to sneak up
on those critters from down-wind. At this point, they resemble buffalo from
the time before our befores got clue -- they hook us and trample us and eat
us.

An ILAT registry would be someplace where we could share this information,
both in memo form (e.g, "Eric and his Characters"), and the actual tables,
along with versioning information as these progress, and variations. When
an ILAT contributor wants to add to a repitoire, they do it (or send mail
to me or you or our successors-in-interest, a dog's age from now).

> You should also mention your work in this area.

I'm one of two NDN computer scientists who contribut to the IETF (Mullen
is the other), and previously I worked on internationalization (i18n) of
Solaris and HP-UX. I spent last year working with the Chinese on i18n and
the Internet (in Beijing), and am burnt out on Euro-Ams and Euro-centric
"Universalism", (as are they) and am finally convinced that the only way
to get "there" is to paddle our own canoe -- Two Rows style.

I've tried everything else, this stuff has to be NDN Kontrolled, and UofA
is high enough in the food chain.

Eric