UofA and CRIT

Susan D. Penfield sdp at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Tue Oct 29 23:35:57 UTC 2002

Eric and all-

I can offer only a weak answer to some of Eric's questions regarding the
work planned with Mohave and Chemehuevi: Both groups are working with orthographies
that are keyboard compatible. We will be looking at programming issues for
other languages which are not so easily adaptable to technology ( and will
be able to answer the questions better a few months from now...)

Also, I'd like to make it very clear that the Gates Foundation grant is very
much a collaborative grant between CRIT and the UA. In fact, the Gates program
specifically funds tribal libraries-- our work here is just an extension
of that and will be focused on supplying training in technology for work
the tribal languages consistent with what CRIT tribal members find attractive
and useful.

Regards,
Susan
Susan D. Penfield, Ph.D.