IPA damage of the 20th century

Susan D. Penfield sdp at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Wed Oct 30 18:16:03 UTC 2002

Dan, Eric and all,
I should add that we are well aware that there will be issues like this to
deal with--so your ideas and comments are very welcome. Navajo has many diacritics
as do most languages, other than Mohave and Chemehuevi, here in the Southwest.
So work will need to be done involving character sets, etc. Part of the purpose
in pushing for Mohave and Chemehuevi right now has to do with the availability
of computers in the CRIT tribal library, with the highly endangered state
of both of these languages, and with the willingness and interest of tribal
members in learning technology.

S.

Susan D. Penfield, Ph.D.
Department of English