Tribal Language (event)

Andre Cramblit andrekar at NCIDC.ORG
Mon Jun 9 18:52:59 UTC 2003

 Kumeyaay Daily News 6/9/2003 06/09/2003 - BARONA INDIAN RESERVATION By Roy
Cook

 Leanne Hinton, PhD Linguistics professor from UC Berkley, opens the
Saturday, June 7, 2003, afternoon session. The meeting is held in the
Barona tribal council chamber next to the Barona Museum. The days  have
been overcast and very much what is described in San Diego as  June gloom.
Inside the room it is bright and hot. Illumination,  brilliance and points
of light shine in the brown faces all around  the tables. This is a
powerful group of dedicated individuals, Yuman,  Cahuilla, Serrano, Tule
River, and other tribes, committed to the  survival of tribal languages.
The Master ? Apprentice language  learning program is evaluating the
conversational proficiency of the  language learner and perhaps sensing the
level of repetition burnout  that might threaten the "master' native
speakers. From the time of  European contact, there were almost 100
languages spoken in  California alone over half are no longer heard. All
are threatened;  many only have a handful of speakers left. The challenge
is great but  the rewards are evident and powerful. It feels real good to
be here.

Kasaw! It is time to eat.

A delightful session of exercises in non- verbal communication is
introduced. Cards with instructions are distributed and one person  must
convince the next to do something involving a task or movement.  Some are
humorous. Others are instructive and to the point. All learn  the
possibilities and enjoy the antics of the ones receiving the  instructions.
Great fun! Ernie Siva from Morongo and Preston  Arroweed, from Quechan,
took their instructor roles with great  delight. It is so empowering to
experience traditional education even  if the model is standard textbook.
"The trick is to do things as you  are learning your language." Said Leanne
Hinton, "Total Physical  Response basic premise involves movement, as we
repeat the same  movement we recall the language associated with that
motion." Drills  continued that would require someone to act or do
something active.  Jane Dumas and Lee Acebado, Master & Appentice from
Jamul, are  sitting together and next to me as I receive a card with
instructions  to get some one to bring me a cup of coffee. Jane smiles as
Lee  returns with a hot cup of coffee for me. There are more smiles and
laughter all around the room. It is such a delight to be in a  learning
environment that is not stressful or authoritarian.

Cheryl Hinton, curator of the Barona Museum, is moving around the  room
smoozing and enjoying the diversity of the workshop  participants. There
are attendees from Barona and out of the state  and even some from Baja.
The survival of Tribal language is a  compelling reason to participate and
learn new techniques. Cheryl  escorts a break out session over to the
museum. Instructions continue  in smaller groups. This allows for more
participation and  involvement. The intensity is heightened; you can almost
feel and  smell the electricity in the air. Folks need to step outside,
from  time to time, to feel the cool Barona breeze on their face. It is
exciting.

Later in the afternoon Leanne reviews steps to organize a language  program
in tribal communities. She calls upon the participants to  relate their
individual experiences in California and Arizona. It is  good to see
Richard Bugbee, Payoomkawichum Luiseno, he is a board  member of the
Advocates. Mariana Drummond, Director of the program is  also here. To
contact the Advocates for Indigenous California  Language Survival, write
AICLS, 1215 66th St. Berkeley, CA 94702  (510) 655-8770. Also it is nice to
see, Karen Vigneault, Ipai, as she  is filming all the sessions for the
AICLS archives.

Finally, it is time for AICLS board member Jon Meza Cuero, Tipai, to
present Nymie/Wilcat songs to the group remaining. Jon related his
background as a singer and native speaker. He spoke in Tipai,
Mexican/Spanish and English. He introduced his long time M/A student  Stan
Rodriguez, Ipai and two other students, Ben Nance and Roy Cook,
Opata/Osage. I point out the value of learning the language through  song.
Proper pronunciation of words and reinforcement of learning is  a constant
benefit each time the song is sung. Jon leads a hot set of  Wildcat songs
that get many listeners moving and tapping their feet.  With smiles all
around the Saturday afternoon session is brought to  an end. We break for
dinner and perhaps stories or more songs later  in the evening or tomorrow
at the final AICLS session. Mehan.

 http://www.americanindiansource.com/langworkshop/languageworkshop.html