Fwd: from Danny Abram; Gaelic issues

David Gene Lewis coyotez at DARKWING.UOREGON.EDU
Tue Sep 30 20:43:01 UTC 2003

------ Forwarded message -------

From: Danny Abrams <dma32 at tam.cornell.edu>
To: David Gene Lewis <coyotez at darkwing.uoregon.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 15:51:16 -0400 (EDT)

Hi David,

I am the correct person to contact regarding that article.  I'm a
graduate student at Cornell University, and I published a paper about
language death with my advisor, Steve Strogatz, in the August 21
edition
of Nature.

Unfortunately, the author of the Daily Record article oversimplified
the
idea a bit too much.  First of all, the report is referring to data on

Scots (not Irish) Gaelic, and we never made any claims about
predicting a
particular year for language death.  The paper is focused more on a
very
simple model that can match much of existing data, and I would be the
first to say that it is not accurate enough to be useful in later
stages
of language decline.

I've attached a copy of the paper to this email (it's only one page)
in
case you're interested.

Danny