SPIDER ON THE WEB-DISTANCE LEARNING IN INDIAN COUNTRY

Jan Tucker jtucker at STARBAND.NET
Sun Apr 18 00:07:27 UTC 2004

Here is an excellent paper (in my view) on distance learning and American
Indian Education

http://www.public.asu.edu/~elizard/cse200/disedrev.htm
[quoted directly from above website]
Abstract: The education of American Indians in the United States
historically has been a tool of acculturation and assimilation.  Recently,
however, new technologies have been made available to tribal communities
that offer different possibilities.  This essay examines the potential uses
of distance learning for maintaining and sustaining American Indian tribal
communities within the United States while allowing access to the
information and skills that allow members of those communities employment
opportunities within the dominant society and its economy. It includes a
brief examination of distance education in general, a discussion of
traditional education in tribal contexts, some elaboration of that theme as
it pertains to tribal uses of distance education technology, and an
analysis of the potential outcomes and consequences of these practices.

Bridging the Digital Divide Among the Native American People
By eliza nelson [above article linked from this amazing site]
http://www.public.asu.edu/~elizard/cse200/index.html

Please excuse me if I am reposting anything everyone already knows about. I
hadn't yet read the archives when I found this website. There is a survey
on the site discussing some of the barriers to distance learning as well. I
just had to share it! Jan  [Online Educator, New to this list]