Study of obscure Amazon tribe sheds new light on how language affects perception (fwd)

Matthew Ward mward at LUNA.CC.NM.US
Thu Aug 26 19:28:53 UTC 2004

I would suspect that if such words exist in tribal languages, they were
recently coined or borrowed--after all, many of them are relatively new
concepts even in the cultures which they originated in.  Words for these
terms exist in all the languages that I speak, but many are relatively
recent coinaged created to deal with new concepts.  The important thing
is that both languages and cultures are flexible, and can accomodate new
concepts as needed.