Government language study released (fwd)

MiaKalish@LFP MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Wed Dec 15 18:04:50 UTC 2004

The response to this report reminds me of a response I saw in one of my
classes when I referred to a book that talked about a longitudinal study
that was able to count the number of words children had heard (total volume,
not unique words) and showed that the more words children had heard, the
better they were able to learn. Based on cognitive research that shows that
the more connections you can make when assimilating new information, this
makes total sense.

Because the writers were supposed to identify their participants, they found
themselves in the unfortunate position of having to say that people in
different SES groups spoke different volumes and different forms to their
children.

So my professor Totally Ignored the Good Information about neuron density,
activation of prior knowledge, clues to how learning happened, and referred
to a listserv where people where having similar responses to that shared
with us by Taiaiake Alfred. Certainly he can take that position.

However.

My research shows that people In General don't learn well in black and white
if they have no prior knowledge. Lit reviews show that people don't know how
to teach language. And finally, other cognitive research shows that people
respond best to things about themselves and their friends. So, if you show
the colors of the vegetation around the Colorado river, especially in
winter, to the people who live there, they will respond more positively to
it than to black and white. Why? Because it is deeply familiar to them. Does
it matter if they are Tribal? Nooooo, not really. Unless of course the
colors you choose just happen to be the Tribal colors. So, quiz: In this
case, will the Tribal people respond more? Or less? Than people who don't
have deep cultural significance for the colors?

It's really too bad that the results of these studies are published in terms
of the People INSTEAD of the Materials.

Guess I was on a soapbox, but this sort of thing really irritates me. I-Mia
don't learn well in black and white. I take the time to build visual models
in my head, in full color, and I dream the same way. If someone discovered
that about me, I would say, Gee, does that mean you will be building
materials that facilitate learning for me? Instead of going around howling
that it is racist against Irish-Jewish women with green eyes who tend to get
cranky.

!
Mia