language funding considerations

Richard LaFortune anguksuar at YAHOO.COM
Sat Dec 18 14:18:40 UTC 2004

Here are a few thoughts from a Native philanthropy
professional focusing on language revitalization- hope
it provides a bit of food for thought-
Anguksuar (Richard LaFortune)

Sometimes a modest or small grant acquires greater
dimension in communities with national or local
economies that can't meaningfully support individual
language activists or organizations - in those
instances, an apparently small grant can sometimes
accomplish more than a larger dollar grant for
constituents in a richer economy.

Also, smaller and emerging Aboriginal organizations
embarking on fundraising efforts may not initially
find a receptive or aware philanthropy audience.
Therefore, a grant of any size is useful when a new-
or grassroots- effort submits proposals and can
already show a committed funding source- it makes for
a stronger argument to other funders, and can serve as
a platform for stronger fundraising efforts.

Funders talk to each other frequently, and a
foundation officer may call other funders to assess
the readiness or worthiness of an organization, for
immediate or future funding.

Grants are often registered in the press and
professional (philanthropy) journals in the country of
origin, so that may represent one of the only
introductions to the larger foundation community.

And of course, if a grantee disseminates
organizational literature of any description, a public
thank you to a funder can serve to advertise the
worthiness of its mission and attract other potential
donors.

FEL is one of a handful of philanthropies worldwide
that provides grants in the range of US$1000 or so,
dedicated to the field in which we work.  Sometimes a
fund with national or international geographic focus
is able to transcend the ignorance or resistance of
more locally based public or private sources of
funding.

Happy Solstice! (which occurs at the customary time of
our ancient winter Nakaciuryaraq celebration, in the
Ancestral Domain of the Yupik people)

PS  Phil: can we add a default 'ILAT' signature into
the subject line of listserve messages?  People
sometimes delete messages from unrecognized or
unfamiliar senders, particularly with attachments

--- Greg Dickson <linguist3 at KATHLANGCENTRE.ORG.AU>