Dual Language Instruction: A Handbook for Enriched Education

Rolland Nadjiwon mikinakn at SHAW.CA
Fri Sep 24 14:13:43 UTC 2004

In my opinion, you are correct. Text centered thinking, in the literate world, has replaced orality, but, with the erroneous assumption, insidiously imbedded in praxis, that the text superseded orality, and, that the text is superior to orality. An anthropologist friend of mine often suggested the problem of the modern world, in addition to being in a spiritual crisis, is in a technological crisis in that our primitive(preliterate) mentality has not kept pace with our modern technology.

In his book, Ong, Walter J. Orality and Literacy:  The Technologizing of the Word. New York: Methune & Co. Ltd. 1982 addresses much of this thinking.

Some very interesting posts...thank you all for your thoughts.

-------
wahjeh
rolland nadjiwon

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: MiaKalish - LFP
  To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
  Sent: Friday, September 24, 2004 9:22 AM
  Subject: Dual Language Instruction: A Handbook for Enriched Education

  Hello, ILAT List members,

  I looked up the book Rosalyn suggested and it got me to thinking: Since language is dynamic and visual and sound-based, why, why, why are all the "how-to" books based on text in this time of rich technology? Amazon didn't have the book in the "examine" format, but I looked at the index, and there is not one single thing about multi-media for sounds and lexical development, there is no mention, at least in a heading, about using the computer for sound repetition and learning, nor did there seem to be an idea about self-directed learning. It seems to be that bi/multi lingual learning always, always, always requires a teacher. This seems to be a constraint rather than a benefit.

  Is there some kind of bias out there that says since text is an elite representational system, language learning can only occur in this difficult context? Even the stuff I have seen on the web is convoluted and often difficult and slow, bogged down by the technology. . . rather than a beautiful artistic construction of the technologies that facilitates rather than impedes apprehension of the languages.

  Sigh.
  Mia