Dual Language Instruction: A Handbook for Enriched Education

MiaKalish - LFP MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Fri Sep 24 13:22:52 UTC 2004

Hello, ILAT List members,

I looked up the book Rosalyn suggested and it got me to thinking: Since language is dynamic and visual and sound-based, why, why, why are all the "how-to" books based on text in this time of rich technology? Amazon didn't have the book in the "examine" format, but I looked at the index, and there is not one single thing about multi-media for sounds and lexical development, there is no mention, at least in a heading, about using the computer for sound repetition and learning, nor did there seem to be an idea about self-directed learning. It seems to be that bi/multi lingual learning always, always, always requires a teacher. This seems to be a constraint rather than a benefit.

Is there some kind of bias out there that says since text is an elite representational system, language learning can only occur in this difficult context? Even the stuff I have seen on the web is convoluted and often difficult and slow, bogged down by the technology. . . rather than a beautiful artistic construction of the technologies that facilitates rather than impedes apprehension of the languages.

Sigh.
Mia

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Rrlapier at AOL.COM
  To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
  Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 9:28 AM
  Subject: (no subject)

  Below is a good basic book for the non-academic (with plenty of studies cited) on the educational/cognitive benefits of teaching in two languages.

  Dual Language Instruction: A Handbook for Enriched Education
  by Nancy Cloud, Fred Genesee & Else Hamayan

  Rosalyn LaPier
  Piegan Institute
  www.pieganinstitute.org