Aboriginal language training to get boost in N.W.T. (fwd)

phil cash cash pasxapu at DAKOTACOM.NET
Wed Jul 13 17:21:00 UTC 2005

Aboriginal language training to get boost in N.W.T.

Last updated Jul 12 2005 11:13 AM MDT
http://north.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=nwt-languages12072005

Officials with the N.W.T.'s department of Education Culture and
Employment say they want to strengthen aboriginal languages through
better training and coordination to ensure more children understand
their native tongue.

The territorial government is hosting a workshop to help instructors
figure out the best way to teach, a welcome and much needed move say
some.

Teachers say that keeping aboriginal languages alive is an ongoing
struggle when English is everywhere. According to Statistics Canada,
only 25 per cent of aboriginal children speak or understand their
native language.

"The language instruction content varies I would say from school to
school and from class to class, depending on the instructor," says
Sabet Biscaye.

"There's no consistent approach."

Biscaye, a Chipewyan language coordinator, says many teachers don't
have a teaching background.

While there is a curriculum, Biscaye says there's little support,
prompting many teachers to try to find their own way of teaching.

Dr. Stephen Greymorning, an international expert on teaching aboriginal
languages, will be part of next week's workshop. He'll show the
instructors how to help their students learn faster, through immersion.

Deputy Minister Mark Cleveland says it's the first time in years that
language instructors will gather to learn new techniques together.

"The programming that we have in place now has been successful in a
number of areas, but we think we can do better and we think that with
the involvement of instructors from across the ages that the
programming that is offered can be strengthened.

Biscaye says bringing teachers together is, however, not just about
learning new teaching techniques.

"It's more than about the content of the workshop or the training. It's
also the networking and the contacts that the people make because
there's some people with some very creative ideasand approaches."