seeking Native digital archivist

Mia Kalish (LFP) miakalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Mon Jun 13 15:27:52 UTC 2005

I hate to be a wag (I guess it's in my character).

Why don't you simply use a digital video camera, and then save on DVD? DVD
is about the best stuff there is, and if you get good quality stuff, your
recordings will be as safe as they can be.

(I am assuming that you will be doing the videoing in the future). If you
already have the videotape, then it needs to be digitized. There are several
good programs, Final Cut Studio and Final Cut Pro will do quite a
serviceable job of converting (you can specify the density), and then edit.
It is not a biggie. . . it is time-consuming, but pretty simple once you
understand the concept.

One of the things I think are still pretty ugly is that you can't easily
integrate the little videos (assuming you did clips) into any of the
presentation formats like PowerPoint and Flash. They have to be compressed
into gif like densities, which ruins the whole point of the video.

Mia

  _____