seeking Native digital archivist

Mia Kalish (LFP) miakalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Tue Jun 14 17:33:01 UTC 2005

This is good to know. I was thinking on my way home last night that no one
has done a project on the scale that I imagine Mona Smith's project to be.

Commercial applications in general try to regularize and reduce the size of
information by using text, as for example email and banking and sales
transactions.

Obviously, despite the popularity of video, there has been little
introduction into teaching and presentation, evidenced by the fact that we
don't have any really good interfaces for video in the popular projects.
People still seem to expect that those using video will just put the
CD/DVD/tape into the appropriate machine and that is that.

We have several academic production studios here on campus, but no one deals
with the issues of moving video across the web. I am pretty sure we write
double-layer commercial DVD's; I have stuff that I have ripped and copied,
because I am working on Mining for Science prototypes where people are
encouraged to find examples of science, technology, engineering and
mathematics in such materials as Robert Mirabal's Music from a Painted Cave,
Boston's Big Dig, and the 2005 Rose Bowl Parade. For me, being able to
create what we now call a "bookmark" directly in a location in the video to
highlight a particular observable STEM example would be extremely useful.
This is, however, difficult to do without destroying the overall see-ability
of the video clip.

There is a rumor about computer science that in a relatively short period of
time, we won't be using even the optical storage any more. Instead, we will
be using massively storable devices like very large capacity memory sticks.

I was wondering, did you use any compression? For things like the Mirabal,
with its incredible effects, compression is truly awful. I was wondering how
it is for the types of recordings that you have?

I tried to go to your link. I got to the University, and there was a
research subdirectory, but there was no linguistics subdirectory. I poked
about a little, but couldn't find the linguistics research.

I've always wanted to go to Australia. There and to Alaska. Sigh.

Mia