seeking Native digital archivist

Felicity Helen Meakins fhm at UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Wed Jun 15 07:15:37 UTC 2005

> I was wondering, did you use any compression? For things like the Mirabal,
> with its incredible effects, compression is truly awful. I was wondering
> how
> it is for the types of recordings that you have?

I use Sorenson ratio which is available in Final Cut Pro. It allows you to
compress video without compressing audio.

I must admit that I have put some edited video (eg educational language
and culture vids) on DVD. The language communities I work with have been
rapidly changing from VHS to DVD because the players are cheaper. Mac has
a program, iDVD, that compresses the media file (though it doesn't really
tell you how it is going about it). You can get about an hour of vid onto
a DVD and it doesn't look too bad. That's a bit vague I know!

> I tried to go to your link. I got to the University, and there was a
> research subdirectory, but there was no linguistics subdirectory. I poked
> about a little, but couldn't find the linguistics research.

Oops try this:

http://www.linguistics.unimelb.edu.au/research/projects/ACLA/index.html

Felicity