seeking Native digital archivist

Felicity Helen Meakins fhm at UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Thu Jun 16 07:12:05 UTC 2005

> MPEG-4, i am learning, is a multimedia compression standard that allows
> object recognition in the original but i have yet to figure how it
> works.  Lately, in our multimedia class (AILDI, Univerity of Arizona),
> we have beem outputing to MPEG-4 with better results than just
> exporting to the Quicktime .mov format.

One project which is spending a lot of time thinking about archiving
formats is the DOBES project (Documentation of Endangered Languages). They
use MPG2 and MPG4 for working and archive copies. The MPG formats are
desirable because they are non-propriatorial (sp!). I think one of the
main problems, though, is that sound is compressed with the image.

http://www.mpi.nl/DOBES/

Felicity