Fw: invited panel on linguistic "tip"

Susan Penfield sdp at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Thu Mar 10 15:14:37 UTC 2005

More....
----- Original Message -----
From: Perry Gilmore
To: Sue Penfield
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2005 8:08 AM
Subject: Fwd: invited panel on linguistic "tip"

FYI
pg

Begin forwarded message:

  From: Leanne Hinton <hinton at calmail.berkeley.edu>
  Date: March 2, 2005 6:08:52 PM MST
  To: sla_membership at lists.berkeley.edu
  Subject: invited panel on linguistic "tip"

  Jacqueline Messing and I are planning to submit an invited session to SLA, called New Directions for Linguistic "Tip:"  Individuals, Communities and "Tip Back".  We are seeking a few  people who might like to give papers in this session.

  This panel will explore the phenomenon of "tip" in the shift of use of ancestral languages by speakers in minority communities, from new points of view.  Dorian (1981) originally conceived of "tip" as a sudden phenomenon occurring after a slow development of circumstances leading to the eventual decline in community use of ancestral languages.  But individuals also experience "tip" when they abandon a language.  And, can "tip" ever flow in the other direction?  Our goal is to open a new discussion of "tip" that considers the individual nature of this social phenomenon (Messing 2003), and the potential for "tip back" towards use of the endangered language(s) (Hinton 1994, 2001).  What does recent ethnographic research tell us about the nature of tip?  What factors influence the use of the ancestral language by individuals in specific speech events? What makes a person who knows a language actually use it - or not?   In language revitalization, what social and linguistic conditions might favor "tip back," the reversal of language shift?  Papers in this panel will offer a diversity of ethnographic perspectives on shifting uses of language(s), social circumstances and perceptions of identity that can lead to language shift both away from and back toward the use of ancestral tongues (Fishman 2001, Flores Farfán 1996 Gal 1979, Hill 1993).

  The abstract above + refs are in the attached document.  If you would like to submit an abstract to us for this session, or ask questions about it, please contact Leanne Hinton at <hinton at calmail.berkeley.edu> or Jacqueline Messing at <jmessing at cas.usf.edu>.

  Best,
  Leanne Hinton
  --

   Prof. Leanne Hinton