Awards recognise Indigenous culture preservation (fwd)

Rolland Nadjiwon mikinakn at SHAW.CA
Wed Oct 19 17:25:06 UTC 2005

Now this is something we need rather than the glitzy hollywood style aboriginal awards in both Canada and US. Or, Phil, do we already have anything like them somewhere?

-------
wahjeh
rolland nadjiwon

----- Original Message -----
  From: phil cash cash
  To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
  Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 1:01 PM
  Subject: [ILAT] Awards recognise Indigenous culture preservation (fwd)

  Wednesday, 19 October 2005, 12:10:48  AEST

  Awards recognise Indigenous culture preservation
  http://abc.net.au/message/news/stories/ms_news_1485716.htm

  People who have worked for the preservation of Pilbara Aboriginal
  language, culture and history in north-west Western Australia have had
  their efforts recognised at the Wangka Maya Pilbara Aboriginal Language
  Centre's first awards night.

  Wangka Maya manager Fran Haintz says it wanted to formally recognise
  people who have developed documentaries, photo albums and language
  databases.

  Ned Cheedy won the individual adult contribution to language
  maintenance, BHP Billiton was recognised as the business committed to
  cultural awareness training and the Jigalong community was recognised
  as the town working in partnership with Wangka Maya.