Translator & Online Course Support Software

Jan Tucker jtucker at starband.net
Sat Oct 29 16:43:53 UTC 2005

Congratulations on your grant, that is so exciting, so Karuk and Cherokee
then are online.

Did you get a chance to look at the free software I have up there to support
live online learning courses? I've been making some quizzes, using
HotPotatoes, also free software if you make it public, put it on the net and
allow free access. I think I already told you about those.

I'm not really ready to go public with the Cherokee Learning Resource Class
because it's still being developed as I take the Cherokee I online course.
Like I said it's experimental. Moodle.com offers free online courses
teaching how to teach language online using Moodle also. They have a
wonderful collaborative community. They also have all kinds of levels of
support if you don't want to bother with the technology and you want them to
host your website, courseware and support it. Since I'm on a out of pocket
budget, I opted to learn how to do everything myself. I've learned a great
deal but it's been slow as I had to do a lot of learning.

If you have a teacher or someone who'd like to use to build a course on my
site or if you'd like to, let me know. I can help you with the software.
Anything you do can be exported to your own hosted site if you choose to
adopt moodle online courseware. They are also very helpful and would
probably demo their free courseware for you. All I have up there is free and
for the purpose of promoting native language and culture learning and for
addressing contemporary native issues. I'd love to collaborate by sharing
what I know so far and offering my website as a place for you and your
teachers, technicians to experiment with online courseware.

Jan