Lost for words (fwd article)

Jesse Gaskell jeps at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Sun Sep 11 19:30:56 UTC 2005

Has anyone begun recording the GuuguYimithirr-English Dialect of the
Australian English (or any language for that matter) to try to bring
this language back? (read Dr. Julia Roberts and her work on Vermont
dialects)In order to be slated as a dialect, the educational system
would need to recognize the original language and it's effects upon the
current generational usage of the English-Australian language. This
could bring funding back to the younger generation and promote the
recognition of the ancient phonological system ???? I agree it is so
downtrodden a feeling- and a lonely place for the Elders today- just a
thought about revitalization from a compromising position in today's
world-and a way to motivate the younger people to participate.

Sandra Gaskell, RPA, MA

-----Original Message-----
From: Indigenous Languages and Technology
[mailto:ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU] On Behalf Of phil cash cash
Sent: Sunday, September 11, 2005 11:58 AM
To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: [ILAT] Lost for words (fwd article)

Lost for words: The lonely fight to save our dying languages
by John Van Tiggelen

...reporting on the situation regarding the indigenous languages of Cape
York Pennisula.

Weekend, The Sydney Morning Herald Magazine
Sept 10, 2005

[note: thanks to Bruce Rigsby, University of Queensland for kindly
sharing this article.  phil cash cash]