Lost for words (fwd article)

Anggarrgoon anggarrgoon at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 13 04:28:05 UTC 2005

So you're looking for substrate influence in Vermont English from these
other European languages?

In the case of Guugu-Yimidhirr and other Australian languages, my
impression is that there is way too much variation going on to find that
(e.g. code mixing and code switching). And anyway, Aboriginal English is
generally said to be a continuum decreolised from Roper River Kriol. So
the main input for Ab'l English phonology is not Guugu-Yimidhirr, it's
Kriol. This is true in some other areas too - I don't have a great deal
of data on Aboriginal English at Milingimbi but there did seem to be
neutralisation of voicing contrasts in the Ab'l English of some speakers
there (but not in Yolngu Matha).

Claire